Monday, November 26, 2012

Low Sodium Cooking #2: Turkey Tex-Mex Skillet


Here's one of the (fairly) low-sodium dishes I'm making for my dinners this week - Turkey Tex-Mex Skillet, and the great thing about it is you can make it one pot (or skillet).  Now, I say this dish is fairly low-sodium because it completely depends on the type of ingredients you choose.  To make sure it's low-sodium, buy canned tomatoes and sauce that say "no sodium added", use ground turkey instead of beef, and use whole wheat noodles.  Or, if you prefer going organic, and you have more skill and time than me, use real tomatoes to make the sauce and cut up another to add texture.

Turkey Tex-Mex Skillet

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 medium green pepper - chopped (if you don't like peppers - like me - use 2 tsp red pepper flakes)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 TB chili powder
6 TB reduced-fat sour cream

Directions:

1. In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.

2. Add tomatoes, macaroni, green pepper, tomato sauce, water and chili powder.  Bring to a boil.

3. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.  Garnish servings with sour cream.

I truly believe this is a dish everyone in the family will love (unless they hate tomatoes).  It's simple, not too spicy, and truly mouthwatering.

6 comments:

  1. Yum I think I might just have to make this sometime during the week! Stopping by from the Raising Imperfection Blog Hop. New follower!

    www.southernramblings.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm..Jamie this looks delicious! Definitely going to have to check this out! :)

    Thank you for linking with Raising Imperfection. Please come back Friday to see if you were featured!
    Hope you entered to be our co-host! You get an entry just for linking up!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious Jamie! It looks easy to make too which is my favorite part of a recipe!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection! I hope to see you back again next week!
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks super "nummy," as my 2 year old says ;-) I'm with you, I hate peppers!

    Thanks for stopping by via the Raising Imperfection hop!
    ~Elisabeth@The Beekeeper's Granddaughter
    www.elisabethferre.com

    ReplyDelete