Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A Day at the Milwaukee Public Museum



 I know it's been over a year since my last post, but it's not because I haven't been out taking photos around my city.  Between work, photographing, and trying to find time to relax, I lost track of time.  But, I'm making up for it by posting the places I've visited over the last year.

The first is the Milwaukee Public Museum, I place I have visited and loved since I was in grade school.  In fact, I remember when I was in 3rd grade, in 1983, was when the dinosaur exhibit (pictured above) opened to the public.  I remember that diorama being so scary for a 9-year-old, complete with jungle noises, thunder and lightening.


 One of the most popular exhibits at our museum is The Streets of Old Milwaukee, which, shortly after I visited, closed for remodeling.  It should be back open to the public soon.  The exhibit features many businesses that thrived in Milwaukee's early years including a candy store (that sells real candy), the Pfister Hotel, which is still located downtown, and the local optometrist.




There are also 2 floors of exhibits dedicated to cultures around the world.  My favorite was always Antarctica, complete with igloos.  But the Asian and African exhibits (pictured below) are fascinating as well.



Since this is Wisconsin, the museum has many dioramas and displays dedicated to the Native American tribes that flourished before it was settled by the Europeans.  As you can see below, many cities and roads got their names from Native American tribes, including Waukesha (where I used to live) meaning "little fox" and Wauwatosa (where I live now) meaning "firefly."



This last photo greets you at the entrance to the museum's exhibits.  It showcases humans' evolution from ape to homo-sapien. 


 The Milwaukee Public Museum, along with the Milwaukee Art Museum and Discovery World, is one of the best places to visit if you love history.  Along with the exhibits I featured, there is also a rainforest, Wisconsin's indigenous animals & plants, a live butterfly room and an exhibit on how families live in many different European countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment