Friday, October 30, 2015

Finally Fall: My Visit to the Mequon Nature Preserve


I don't know about you, but it seemed like it took forever for fall to officially come to Southeastern Wisconsin.  Usually, by early October, our trees are completely painted in fall color.  But it took until the third weekend of this month to be able to get photos of the gorgeous red, yellow and orange leaves.  To do this, I decided to venture out to the Mequon Nature Preserve, a 400-acre park north of Milwaukee that has six nature trails, an observation tower, an education center, and ecologically-friendly wetlands.


Not only do they have large parcels of forest, but they also have a nursery for the cultivation of new trees.


I was pleasantly surprised by all of the autumn color in the trees, especially the vibrant orange leaves.



The Preserve hosts educational field trips where schools can come in and learn about the environment including hikes through the trails.  And there is no fee for the visit.


I decided to try something new with the forest photographs, mostly because I had seen other photographers doing it.  I raised by camera and shot up into the trees wherever I saw color.


I love how some of these came out with the contrast between the blue sky, the autumn colors and the remaining green trees. 


I also like how the trees look almost like watercolor paintings (at least I hope they do)!



The Mequon Nature Preserve is a really nice place to take a quiet, leisurely, relaxing hike in the middle of Milwaukee, and a great place for children to learn about the environment.  I will definitely go back!

 

5 comments:

  1. Nice pics. I know what you mean about fall coming late. But I was happy. That meant that winter was a little further away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics. I know what you mean about fall coming late. But I was happy. That meant that winter was a little further away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jayne! I wish fall could last even longer (until May).

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful. 23 years, I spent a week in Mequon. It was in January. It looked like a great place but it was a little cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Patrick! Yeah, six (maybe seven) months out of the year, Wisconsin is great By January, we're already sick of winter. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete